I Tried 4 Different Korean Color Correcting Makeup Base/Primer!

Image result for jeju island

Hello everyone! I am finally back for an update!

Months ago, I have read about color correcting makeup bases and I got really interested to know which one would be a better one.

But being the cheapo as I am, I only tried out one from The Face Shop, Nature Republic and Etude House and Innisfree using my birthday discount (LOL).

Disclaimers:
1) I only chose Lavender color because my skin is yellowish and lavender is a good color to cancel out the yellow and makes your skin to look brighter. For people who have more redness in skin, green would be more recommended! I only have redness from little pimple marks, so I use a color correcting concealer instead of a base for the case.

2) For my review, I'll compare each of the products based on the following criteria: Brightness, Moisturizing power, Coverage, Application, Lightness, Price and Longlasting-ness (is this even a word?).


So, here we go!


#1 AIR COTTON MAKE UP BASE from THE FACE SHOP

Image result for nature republic air cotton lavender


  • Price: 5/5 
    • I bought it at only RM15 from Shopee along with other products and the product is shipped directly from Korea! (I bought other items for free shipping, though lol) 
    • With this price point, I think it's really cheap!
  • Brightness: 3/5
    • It certainly brightens up my skintone pretty well for a product that I don't pay as much compared to other products listed in this post.
    • Though, comparing to other products, it seems like my makeup also got dull after only 4~5 hours of desktop work.
  • Moisturizing power: 2.5/5
    • This product feels nice to apply on, but later of the day rather than feeling my makeup is staying, my face started to feel a little oily.
  • Application: 4/5
    • At the starting point of application it is easy to apply, not too watery to make a mess either! I simply applied with a puff and I didn't need extra effort to push everything around. Overall it feels really nice to apply tbh.
  • Coverage: 2/5
    • Coverage power is so-so, but oh well you can always use a concealer later.  
  • Lightness: 3.5/5
    • The product doesn't feel heavy on the skin, but Etude House does better from my experience. 
  • Longlasting-ness: 3/5
    • Didn't last for very long. 
  • Overall: 3.29/5 
    • Would use it if I am going out for a short errand so I don't look so yellow.
    • Would still use it because it isn't costly, just not for occasions that I have to go out for a long time (for work, for example) 


#2 MINERAL MAKE UP BASE SPF30 PA++ from INNISFREE





  • Price: 4/5 
    • I bought it at RM35 from Shopee. The seller guarantees that all of her products are originally from Korea, so I actually compared it with the retail store (sorry lol) to know that it's the real deal.
  • Brightness: 3.5/5
    • It certainly brightens up my skintone, but it didn't do as well as I wished it to be. 
    • Though, comparing to other products, it's better than The Face Shop but not as good as Etude House. 
  • Moisturizing power: 3.5/5
    • Innisfree is doing a better job for their skincare imo and this doesn't feel like it dries out my skin badly. My face is only seemingly a little oily after about 7 hours in the office.
  • Application: 4/5
    • This product is also pretty easy to use, just slightly less watery than the one from The Face Shop, I would say. Still easy to apply.
  • Coverage: 3/5
    • Coverage power is medium, some of my pores aren't as clear but pimples still need a good concealer to cover them.  
  • Lightness: 3.5/5
    • The product doesn't feel heavy on the skin, quite similar to the one from The Face Shop.
  • Longlasting-ness: 3.5/5
    • It almost helped me to get through 75% of my working day, so yay! Would use it for a half-day date or something. LOL.  
  • Overall3.57/5 
    • Would use it if I am going out for a short errand or a half-day work.
    • Still affordable, has SPF, so it's still ok to get this! 


#3 PROVENCE BLOSSOM MAKEUP BASE from NATURE REPUBLIC





  • Price: 3/5 
    • A friend from the US brought me this when she was in Korea (thank you sweetie) and I didn't know the price for this particular item in Malaysia. However, as soon as I checked the price from Nature Republic Korean site, it's about RM70 (18900 Korean Won). 
    • With that price I would probably get myself a primer from Benefit Cosmetics  Sephora (It's only RM61!) if this isn't as good lol I should remind myself to visit Sephora next time.
  • Brightness: 4/5
    • It brightens up my skin pretty well! It brightens up more than than innisfree, to be exact. 
    • Didn't give it a 5 because the brightness didn't last very long.
  • Moisturizing power: 4/5
    • Skin doesn't cry for moisture after washing it off compared to other items!
    • After checking the ingredients there were ginseng extract and royal jelly, explains the price point now. 
  • Application: 4/5
    • Super easy to spread out, doesn't make a mess but it's easy to keep things even. 
  • Coverage: 2.9/5
    • Coverage power is not apparent, but then again because your skin brightens up it isn't so bad. 
  • Lightness: 4.5/5
    • Super light, doesn't feel heavy on the skin nor it feels greasy.
  • Longlasting-ness: 3.1/5
    • I tested this out when I was working for a 10 to 10 shift. My face is starting to look dull from 2PM and I'm really sad about this.
  • Overall3.64/5 
    • I liked that there's SPF in this product too though!
    • But honestly because this product probably didn't like me very much I don't think I'll be getting it again after I finish this bottle.


#4 FIX AND FIX TONE UP PRIMER SPF33 PA++ from ETUDE HOUSE





  • Price: 3.2/5 
    • 30% discount from Etude House for birthday month made me to buy this. (Normal retail price: RM56). 
    • It's a little expensive but so far I have loved the texture!
  • Brightness: 4.3/5
    • I love love LOVE how it brightens up my skin with only a little application!
    • Didn't give it a 5 because it didn't last for my full shift.
  • Moisturizing power: 4/5
    • Skin doesn't feel bad after washing off on a day when I'm lazy to do my skincare lol so I really liked it! 
  • Application: 4/5
    • Super easy to spread out, just a little bit of the product is enough to go places!
  • Coverage: 3.5/5
    • I'd say that the coverage isn't the best yet but hey, you can complement with a normal concealer. My pimple scars are like 80% covered so I don't have to do much of touch up. 
  • Lightness: 4.5/5
    • Super light, doesn't feel heavy on the skin, definitely not greasy and I almost forgot that I have put something on my face.
    • On a plus side I used this without powdering my face or putting foundation but my colleagues said I look prettier lol
  • Longlasting-ness: 4.5/5
    • I tested this out when I was working for a 10 to 10 shift in an event that I had to walk around while offering consultations. I'm only seeing a little bit of shine at around 5PM! 
  • Overall4/5 
    • Although it's a primer, I used it as a makeup base (to be honest I just feel like treating them the same). Whether with or without additional foundation on me is great! 


Final Thoughts

  • In order to save my wallet I would get Air Cotton from The Face Shop (lol) but if I know I'm going to use something for my work environment (full blast Air Conditioner office environment that requires you to keep sitting and talking to humans), Etude House is my choice. 
  • Though there are actually a whole lot more brands to try but I am not sure when I will be able to try them out yet (Laneige, the other cushion base from Nature Republic, and other brands in Sephora etc. welp) because I honestly need to finish what I buy first lol 
  • All of the scores are actually pretty close to each other after I've divided them by adding them up and getting an average score. Perhaps in the future I should also consider comparing prices based on their official retail price? Let me know what you think! 

Until next time! 

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment